Heat Safety Tips for the Farmer or RancherWith temperatures beginning to reach their summer peak, it is important that we keep in mind best practices when working in the heat. Regardless of the temperature, chores on your farm and ranch still have to get done. Here are four tips to help keep you protected from the heat this summer:
- Stay hydrated
- Drink approximately 8 oz. (1 cup) of water about every 15 - 30 minutes. (Note: Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink water!)
- Dress for the heat
- Wear lightweight, loose clothing and light colors that reflect sunlight.
- Schedule and pace your work
- Save strenuous work for the cool times of the day such as early morning or evening, and especially reschedule those tasks that require personal protective equipment.
- Pace yourself and take 15 minute breaks in the shade every two hours.
- Be able to identify signs of heat related illness
- Being able to identify signs of heat related illness in yourself and others will help alert you when it is time to seek treatment.